"A person with increasing knowledge and sensory education may derive infinite enjoyment from wine."
- Ernest Hemingway
- California is the leading wine producing state—making more than 90 percent of all U.S. wine—and also ranks first in wine consumption. Californians enjoy nearly one in five (18 percent) of the bottles consumed in the United States.
- Wine is fat free and contains no cholesterol. A 4-ounce glass of table wine has about 80-100 calories.
- To make one bottle of wine, it takes about six to eight clusters, or approximately 600 to 800 wine grapes (2.4 lbs).
- Vintners and growers who represent 40 percent of the annual wine case production and one quarter (125,000 acres) of the state's wine acreage currently participate in the Code of Sustainable Wine Growing Practices program
- Learn more about California wines at Discover California Wine.